Thursday, November 14, 2013

Weekly Review - RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne

What is up my AfterDark lovelies?!

Enjoy your Hump Day? Well mine was cold as all get out. Fall is here and in representation of the changing times I went with an oldie but goody. This week, I bring you the very first animé I bought when I moved in to my current home - RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne.

Now this animé first premiered in 1998 as a light novel. The animé and manga both came out around the same time. This bad boy is only six epis long (aren't I lucky), but they are deep, wild, erotic, bloody and at times confusing unless you can keep up lol.

We've got our main chick, Rin Asougi, private investigator and all-around badass in glasses and a two-piece suit. Now she may seem like a normal chick, but she walks around with quite a powerful secret - she's immortal. Yep, this woman has been in Tokyo for too damn long if you ask me, but seems to me that's her sole purpose. Right by her side is this kid-faced cutie named Mimi who loves her shots of vodka and shots of Rin too. Oh snaps!! You see right off bat from the first epi that Rin and Mimi are about that life!! Mimi is also immortal so ain't no telling how long those two been getting down with the get down lol.

Rin and Mimi obtained their immortality from these little glowing deals called Time Fruits. They come from the legendary Yggdrasil tree that is looked after by this character named Apos. If a time fruit enters a woman's body, she becomes immortal. If one enters a man's body, he becomes this crazed angel-like creature who's only desire is to keep eating the fruits of immortal women in order to stay alive. So moving along, Rin runs into this kid named Koki Maeno which starts a long and twisted run on Rin crossing paths with every Maeno after him and many unfortunate events take place as time progresses.

When I first saw this animé, I literally found myself going What the hell am I watching?! Like I could understand the whole immortal thing, but hell even the dog, Genta, is immortal dammit!!  I want one of those damn tree spores while yall tripping lol. To a newbie, not only will this series confuse you but it will fuck your world up if you ain't ready for it! This is not, I repeat NOT for the light-hearted or mildly curious. You've got to have the skills of Sherlock Holmes and a stomach harder than The Rock's just to handle this bad boy! Did I love it at first? Hell no!! I didn't watch this again till about a month later.  It was then that I really paid attention to the storyline and found myself thinking, This shit is crazy but damn I'm feeling it.

So yeah, this one gets an AfterDark approved rating! Oh, if you're anything like me, you will come to hate the protagonist in this damn series but not for reasons you would think lol. Just go watch it and see what I'm talking about.

Catch up with you guys this weekend!!

Saki ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment