Thursday, October 31, 2013

Black Cat Review

What is going on my peeples?! (like my spelling lol)

Its Wednesday night and you know ya girl has to get in her weekly reviews, right?  So this time I checked out Black Cat. Now I'm looking at the box on the DVD set and going, OK, this should be interesting.  Well, I was surprised to realize how much I enjoyed this!  I thought it was gonna be another one of those good ol' folks with special powers, kicking ass, and doing fly shit type of anime, but it was way more than that!!

So to get to the nitty gritty, Black Cat was originally a manga that start back in 2000 and ran till about 2004. It appeared in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump during this time. It then became a 24-episode anime series that ran from 2005 to 2006. Now it's sold on DVD all over the world so you can have the complete series at your disposal (get like me *flexes). Now you are probably wondering...

Who or what the world is Black Cat?

Black Cat is a code name given to Train Heartnet, an assassin turned good-guy, because of his speed and reflexes (not to mention those yellow cat eyes he has). He's considered a member of the Chronos' Assassins and he's lucky number 13. He carries a gun called Hades that's pretty bad ass in my view. Dude is a straight cold piece though! Ok so I could get into what Chronos is or whatnot, but I don't feel like it. Moving on, Train meets this chick named Saya Minatsuki, a Sweeper (bounty hunter), who pretty much turns him from this cold-hearted murderer to someone whom is able to think for himself. Unfortunately, Train lost what he could call his first love to this evil ass mofo named Creed Diskenth. Dude was also an assassin, but he flipped the script and been riding Train all this time.

Along the way during Train's "transformation", he makes some new friends.... Sven Vollfied, another sweeper who's got this crazy eye that can allow him to see the future for a few seconds or so, and Eve, a young girl who was created by nanotech to be the best ass-kicking kid I've ever seen (aside from Gohan you silly gooses).  The biggest breaker on this series for me - CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!! I mean its amazing the transformations that some of these folks go through and endure just to get to their present selves. The animation was drawn nicely, seeing how it's a shounen, and the plot definitely keeps you wondering what the hell is gonna happen next. I'm all for action, fights, and all the good stuff, but the comedic moments of this anime definitely had me gripping my stomach on some parts. They tend to catch me off guard.

One of the characters I related to in this anime was Eve. She looks all sweet and nice, but inside she's got the ability to go ham and take you out in one slice. She can change from her form physically to protect herself when faced with some trouble. But even she learns about the world around her. Not gone lie... I saw myself in that kid and that was bonus points. I think if you can relate to an anime, then you definitely should see it through to the end.

Well folks, another one gets my thumbs up! Black Cat is my go to for a kick-back session when I'm in my jammies and don't wanna do ish lol. Thank you to Shin Itagaki (director) for all the cats (its a hell of a lot too)! Hope you guys enjoyed and hit me up with some feedback!

See you next week my lovelies!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment